Happy New Year! Choosing a word of the year is one of my favorite New Year rituals. I love how it weaves it’s way through my year. It usually shows up in unexpected ways and always prove to be a guiding light. This is my 5th year choosing a word – I have chosen ABUNDANCE, CONNECTION, NOURISH, and DEVOTED and each served me well and in their own way.
In sharing my word of the year, I believe that it creates a sacred energy that feeds and nourishes it’s intention.
My heart has chosen PRESENCE as my sacred word for 2017.
Truthfully, when it first appeared towards the end of the year I was all YES! I even picked up the book Presence by Amy Cuddy to read. Before I began reading I started to doubt it. I didn’t feel as if it was active enough so, I thought of other options. However, I kept coming back to PRESENCE – ultimately it chose me! I loved all the expressions of presence and how it relates to personal power discussed in the book. Once I embraced the word, I realized all the ways it was a perfect fit.
“By accessing our personal power, we can achieve “presence,” the state in which we stop worrying about the impression we’re making on others and instead adjust the impression we’ve been making on ourselves.”
Ways I wish to embody PRESENCE
- Let go of the past and release future worries. Only this moment is real. Be present.
- Technology detox – disconnect from devices and allow inner self to show up.
- Remember where attention goes, energy flows. Focus toward that which ignites passion.
- Relax into the flow of life with yoga and meditation to discover peace, joy, and purpose.
- Create rituals to empower my soul and bring consistency into my life
- Be confident enough to share my imperfect self and imperfect work with the world.
- Focus on the positive and lift each other up
Why Choose a Sacred Word for the Year?
ONE WORD deepens change. It relieves the pressure of having to make too many changes all at once and provides a laser focus on one significant change. Most of us forget our long list of intentions. It is easier to remember one word.
Tips to Choosing your Sacred Word
➳ Ask, “What word do I want to embody into in 2017?”
➳ Intuitively choose a magazine.
➳ Flip until you find a word that surprises or delights you, cut it out.
➳ Research and contemplate what your word means to you.
➳ Let your word pick you. If you “think” it’s not right but, you can’t shake it – honor it.
➳ Create artwork to celebrate and illustrate your word.
Life is yours to create!